"The continuation of our Internet Safety & Cyberbullying initiatives saw staff and students at Coláiste Mhuire receive a guest lecture on Internet Safety & Cyberbullying from leading forensic psychologist Dr Maureen Griffin. This was a very engaging presentation which brought home the harsh realities of our on-line
Dr Griffin shared her experiences from her research and from talking to students around Ireland. She spoke in detail about social media sites and Apps such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp and Viber. Her presentation centred on:
• Highlighting the potential dangers of sharing too much personal information online.
• Encouraging students to think before they upload material or send it via mobile phone.
• Creating awareness of the long term consequences of inappropriate internet or phone use.
• Encouraging respect for others when online and outlining the consequences of cyber-bulling for all involved.
• Encouraging students to maintain a happy balance between online and offline activities.
Dr Griffin explained how to use privacy settings and pointed out some of the dangers and misconceptions about the use of social media. Dr Griffin also spent time talking about Cyberbullying, its effects and the psychological & legal consequences. Students found her presentation very clear and easy to follow".